Saturday, January 23, 2010

Play dough and mommy school

This week the kids have been waking up earlier and earlier. I think they are trying to catch some morning time with dad, but Jimmy has been waking up super early so he has been going to work earlier too. That means that I have to find more activities to entertain them with. This week we started "Mommy School" since I'm not taking Kai to preschool for the winter session.

One of the activities was making homemade play dough.(recipe from Martha Stewart)
We added our own twist to it by using Kool-Aid powder for color and scent. I also made some using food coloring and flavor extracts and oils. It was so easy both 2 year old and 4 year old was able to make it all themselves from measuring to mixing. They learned about measurement, counting and color from this exercise. Adding scent gives an extra element for their senses to explore.

Kai told me that he likes "Mommy school" and can't wait to tell his other teacher about his activities. His only complaint is about some of the activities being too easy! I've been working with him from books for pre-school and kindergarten level activities. Since that comment I've been mixing it up by adding all level activities including high school work! The advance work is mostly in the science department. We colored, labeled and learned about parts of a spider. I gave him the picture, read him definitions for parts and asked him to point at the picture where he thought the part was. He got 6 of the 8 parts right!

His love of skeletons have also led us to learn the name of some of our bones (I can't name all 206, so we will start with 30). Which has basically led to our own anatomy class exploring the eyes, brain, tongue, digestive system, skeletal system. He may not completely understand it all but the important thing is that he is learning that everything has a name and purpose. I loved science when I was small too! I remember getting my first chemistry set at 9 years old.

Cooking in the kitchen with me is teaching him a form of chemistry and math. Since I don't work, I can spend time teaching them all sorts of stuff. I am thinking of teaching them a foreign language too. Since none of my kids are in formal education yet, everything we do is just another fun activity. Even 3 month old Max loves books! We have story time everyday and between all the kids it lasts almost two hours!

Kai and Cassia both have the Tag reading system and books which makes reading more fun. Our favorite books right now are Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Walter the Farting Dog Goes on a Cruise, and any book with Thomas the Train.

No comments: