Monday, July 28, 2008

Diaper Cake


Jimmy has a co-worker who recently had a baby girl, so I got to make another diaper cake! This time I took a photo. Yea, diapers are a little boring for a gift, but essential! Plus the fun presentation makes it fun to receive, besides the way I make them, there is a little surprise in each layer! The bottom layer has a hand puppet hidden in the center of the cake, the middle layer has onsies, and the top (if it's not too tight) I usually try to add something for the mom like a nursing bracelet or a little picture frame. You could fill the center with endless baby things like travel sized baby toiletries, a baby bottle, bibs, wash clothes, toys, burp clothes and tiny books.

I've researched how much they cost at the store and let me tell you that with everything pictured, it was not even close to the $80 price tag you find at baby boutiques! Plus, the ones you buy from the store is only diapers and whatever it is decorated with. Making them myself is more fun because I can add my little surprises.
The directions on making these can be found by looking up diaper cakes, but since I didn't like the idea of having to individually wrap them with a rubber band I actually lined a cake pan with them. Then used kitchen twine to tie around the diapers to give the cake shape and covered the twine with pretty ribbon. Stack the layers on a cake circle or make your own (a platter would be cute too) insert cake dowels or chopsticks or skewers (whatever you have) in the center to prevent layers from toppling and top with a plushie. Voila your own custom made diaper cake at a fraction of the retail price. These cakes can be further embellished with baby bottles, pacifiers, or silk flowers!

No comments: