Saturday, January 31, 2009

How I do it

During our vacation, my family members and friends are astonished to see that after having two children I am still my prebabies shape. They ask if I am starving my self or what kind of diet I'm on. Well, being the wife of a pastry chef I am on no diet!

Here's what I do people: practice moderation.

I refuse to starve myself or give up my beloved sweets and treats, therefore I indulge, but in moderation. It's so easy! Read the serving size on the packages and stick to it. Don't give in to those pre-packaged products that advertise only 100 calories. You're only paying them to do the work for you. Save your money and portion things yourself. If you like the ease of the grab and go, then portion ahead of time into snack sized bags or containers.

I also eat very few processed foods, packaged foods, fast foods, or non-organic foods. I truly believe in eating organic and local. I refuse to buy conventionally grown or imported produce that will be consumed whole. Bananas are something that I will buy because we are not eating the peel, but there really is a taste difference. My children will only eat organic bananas and I end up having to eat the conventionally grown ones when purchased.

I have a chart up on my refrigerator reminding us of how many portions a day of grains, vegetables, fruits, proteins, and dairy we should consume. This actually also helps to get more fruits and vegetables into the kids diets. The chart also has our meals outlined (breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner) so once each box is checked we are done eating for the day. This chart shows my toddler what to expect and that if he doesn't eat during the specified meal time that he will have to wait until the next one.

It also helps me to remember to eat! I used to only feed the kids and snack on their left overs, but this forces us to dine as a family together and everyone eats the same thing. I don't run a restaurant out of my kitchen. Restaurant quality food, but no menu options. You eat what you are served.

It took Kai only two days to understand this chart, so now he is not constantly asking me to snack and we also don't have to fight about eating vegetables. All I have to do is point to his chart and say, "You have not had any vegetables today."

I cook every day for every meal. It is tiresome sometime, but I know what is going inside my body. No preservatives or other yucky things that make you gain weight or sick. I force myself to plan a weekly menu and write a grocery list so that I am not tempted to load the grocery cart with unnecessary junk food.

No comments: