Thursday, November 29, 2007

Shortbread cookies





While the babies are still sleeping, I made chocolate chip shortbread. It's the traditional recipe plus the addition of chocolate chips. Of course this might be old news to some of you, but I am exploring the flavor possibilities. I've tried ginger, pandan, green tea, chocolate, dried fruits, lemon, almond, lavender and even black pepper. Chocolate chip was tasty, but the chocolate I used might not be to everyone's taste. It was 53.8% Callebaut chocolate. Not at all milky or bittersweet. Close to semi-sweet but has a deeper chocolate taste and a fruity finish. I was skeptical at first out of the oven, but seeing as how I can't stop eating them...it works for this family. The classic is still the best so I will share the recipe. I don't know who originally wrote the recipe down but this one was handed down to me by my in laws.

Scottish Shortbread
1 pound of butter, soften
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of rice flour
4 cups of all purpose flour
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract*
pinch of salt *

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
Cream together the butter and sugar. Add vanilla extract and mix to combine. Add the salt and gradually add the flours to the butter. The finished dough will resemble crumbs. Pour mixture into a 15 x 10 glass baking pan and press cookie dough into the pan. Poke the dough in several places with a fork and bake for an hour or until the shortbread is a nice golden color. Remove from oven and let cool for about 10 minutes before cutting it into squares.
(* the vanilla extract and salt are my recent additions)


Have fun testing out the recipe. If you can't find rice flour, corn starch can be substituted.





No comments: