Tuesday, September 30, 2008

It's finally fall!

The temperature has dropped to the fifties, leaves are turning colors and falling, our harvest decorations are up on the window ledges, I had my first cup of hot cocoa for the season last night, and bought Halloween candy! I love this time of year!

I absolutely love Yummy Earth's Organic Lollipops. I bought the 1 pound bag from Whole Food's the other day and was delighted to find that they added new flavors! Too berry blueberry (my favorite), sour apple tart, googly grape, strawberry smash, and very very cherry. Kai's favorite flavor is the mango tango! Just writing about them makes me want one! Oh, why not..I think I'll have a grape one...yummy! They make a variety of other lollipops like 'Hot Chili Pops', 'Super SOUR Pops' and 'Vitamin C Pops'. Our store doesn't carry the 'Hot Chili Pops' so I'm going to check out their website because I'm curious and I love those spicy mango lollipops I used to get from Fiesta.

I'm starting the slow cooker again, tonight is beef stew! I only use the slow cooker during these cool months, so dishes like beef stew, chili, and chicken with squash and curry are back in rotation. For some reason my kids will eat the vegetables that are cooked in the slow cooker; it could be because of the texture or because it has so much flavor...I'm not sure, but glad they're eating veggies!

For some reason I was craving pumpkin pie (could be because all the coffee shops have pumpkin spice lattes on their menu....I don't like them by the way), so Kai and I baked one last night. It was good, could have been better. I made the mistake of using already ground nutmeg instead of freshly grating it. I don't know how I could have overlooked it since I did freshly grind all the other spices! The pie was gorgeous, looked store bought, but the flavor was a little uneven. Now, I know and can make adjustments. Last year I didn't bake one, so I didn't even eat pumpkin pie last year!

Kai my little sous chef is such a sponge, he is learning so much everyday, it's amazing! He has learned to be patient and understanding of his little sister when she destroys something of his and will cover up for her when she does something naughty. He is showing interest for pre-school, doing well with potty training, and loving all things Halloween.

Cassia, is no longer a baby...she has turned into a toddler in what seems like overnight! Sob..sob..sniff..sniff. She is a delight to watch and play with. Jimmy thinks she's such a girly girl. She'll bat her eyes at him and give him lots of hugs and kisses...it's so sweet to see the two of them together. She walks everywhere now and is fast. Her love of reading continues, now she really loves lift-the-flap books. We have a Halloween one that she really likes and when we read it she always says 'boo' when lifting the flaps! Just too cute, I only wish that the rest of the family could see her before she becomes a pre-schooler too.

No comments: